Tuesday, June 12, 2007

MALIGAYANG ARAW NG KALAYAAN!




In one forum, a participant recommends another to read "The Purpose Driven Life" and "Five People You Meet in Heaven" for the purpose of enlightenment. The latter person, a prolific blogger, responds by, among other things, blatantly denying the importance of purpose in his life by way of his blog.

I guess such strong claim is in reference to the purpose which he believes the recommender, the book, and others of like pedigree, might have claimed to define or misdefine for him. And to such other same bananas!

The blogger is silent as to the second title, willfully perhaps, as he cares less to care, as I see. And it’s sound he does!

With these, I itched to react and write; I just made a reply to him.

I have not read either book. Their titles spell a deductible idea that only those who are heavily armed and burdened with ghostly assumptions are likely to be enlightened in their very sense of the word, or likely to enjoy them, at the least. Indeed, we could judge books by their titles and, much more precisely, by their readers! It’s good for the economy; haste makes waste.

But still, we are unfortunate that the word “enlighten” continuous to exist in the vocabulary of the Enlightened Ones. Buddha would be terribly jealous. Maybe it’s better they have it patented for their exclusive use so that men of reason are spared of the torture of confusion. But if they mean they were enlightened, first with the conversion of their supernatural assumptions to intelligible terms in their reading of the books, then enlightened again, after showing them the objective and consequent why’s, how’s, what’s, when’s, and where’s of those assumptions, then we might consider the reconsidering of our affinity with the cherished ideas of the Enlightenment.

Even the first part of such enlightenment process would do, if they want me to talk shorter and avoid too many commas.

In my opinion, it is still the great Summa Theologica (second to the Bible, of course) that should accompany first the spiritual enlightenment of the Bible believers. The mental calisthenics involved in reading it would at least give them a drop of idea that in defending faith, the best shield is the mind. Then, right after that grueling and taxing introspection and realization, it’s high time to treat each of themselves with two bowls of sundaes each topped with bright red cherries. I mean, grab your "The Purpose Driven Life" and "Five People You Meet in Heaven" for carefree washroom reading, applying the idea of choosing the lesser evil first. Summa being the much lesser.

The blogger I told you is right. He will only read one only when lent one. And my friendly, yet still unsolicited, advice to him, read it only when it’s Lent, on Friday, when we have all the time, when Friday is Good and someone dies.

Shouldn’t we have our Independence Day moved to another movable date?

Nevertheless, Maligayang Araw Kalayaan!

3 comments:

TonyB said...

Hi Ted,

It's nice to see you have started your own blog. There is one good thing about having your own blog. You are not subject to censorship by your peers. You can speak your mind and not find out somebody else has edited/deleted your post. Of course you are still subject to the rules of the blog host but no blog host can censor and expect to live long as a blog host - it'd die a natural death. Another good thing about this is that your own turf is your sacred ground. You may find this or that don't really fit into your ideal forum but your own blog will always be what you choose it to be.

About the second book, I think it will be a total waste of time and effort to even lift it. A few years ago, while I was browsing books in a local bookstore, I picked up one titled "20 evidences that god exists" or something. It was very very disappointing. I expected too much.

I have added a link in my blog into your blog. Let the discussion flow freely.

cheers!
Tony

ted pagalanan said...

Thanks Kapanalig. I'd take it from blog experts and reason gurus like you.

Haha, it's sometimes wise not to expect at all. Titles are more of promotion than thumbnails of the picture.

You are linked as well. Let loose the free trade of thoughts.

Ted

Anonymous said...

Hi all

Just introduce myself: I am a man (says my wife), I am 50 years old (hmm, that looks bad isn't it?) and I am a terrible bad programmer (I say myself).
My hobbies: computer (of course), my 17 years old son and of course my wife. I like to play billiard, I do a very little bit and very simple programming in VB and I try to make a site for my billiard-club in the near future.

Peace out, Dennis from [url=http://www.myonlinepayday.com]My Online Payday[/url] website!